Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Flute

Wooden Flute
I have the answer! You can breathe easy now! I have the answer to the question that has eaten away at you all your life: Why do they call a flute a woodwind if they’re not made out of wood and they don’t use reeds!? Are you ready? Ready? OK, so the reason they consider flutes as woodwinds is because back in the Middle Ages and Renaissance era, flutes were made out of wood! In fact, since each flute was handmade, each one was different, meaning that no two flutes had the same set of fingerings. So it would really suck if your flute broke because essentially when you got a new one you’d have to learn how to play the notes all over again! Don’t be fooled though, these aren’t the oldest flutes we have knowledge of. So far they’ve found flutes in Germany made from animal bones that date back from 35 000 – 43 000 years ago. Now, the history of the flute is a long one, so let’s see if I can put it briefly for you.
Modern Flute
So as I mentioned before, we heard the six tone-holed wooden flute during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, but in the beginning of the 17th century, the flute sort of fell off the grid as more expressive instruments, like the violin, gained popularity. This prompted many changes to be done to help it hold up next to the violin. Woodwind makers experimented for years, changing the diameter of the cylinder in different places, separating it into three pieces as opposed to just one, adding keys one at a time to expand its range of notes, adding a piece of cork inside for tuning and starting to use metal instead of wood. It wouldn’t be until the beginning of the 19th century, however, that Theobald Boehm would spend roughly 33 years perfecting the instrument, adjusting the space between keys, adding a crutch for the player’s thumb to allow for better movement of the fingers, and adding holes on the top of certain keys to allow for a clearer tone. When he was finished, it was widely accepted around the world and the Boehm flute became and remained the standard modern flute.
Now, for those of you who still think flutes are boring and "vanilla", watch this video. Yes, this is an actual technique. 

Sources:


6 comments:

  1. Wow, I honestly had no idea that one could go this much in depth about the history of the flute. Honestly I don't know why I am surprised, it is a beautiful sounding instrument that has been around for many years. And that, ladies and gentleman is all I will ever attempt to say about music and instruments because I know nothing. I am excited to read other blogs you post. I think it is time I learn a little more about music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9. Oh gosh, this was actually an overwhelming post to write because flutes have so much history due to their age and complexity! I really felt though like I had to cover it at least briefly since it is such a beautiful and timeless instrument! I’m glad you gave my blog a chance though; despite that fact that you say that you’re knowledge is not extensive on the subject.

      Delete
  2. I did know that flutes were previously made out of wood, but I had absolutely no idea that no too flutes had the same fingering. That is so interesting! I would imagine that that would complicate things and make them much more difficult than they are today. I also think the fact that they have found flutes that date back from 35 000 – 43 000 years ago is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t that crazy! I feel like I would’ve probably been super discouraged to pick up any instrument if I’d been told that when I needed a new one I’d have to learn the fingerings all over again! That would be terrible! Then again, think of how much better music students (particularly high school ones) would take care of their instruments…

      Delete
  3. Beat-boxing flute!! What!? How on earth....I'm flabbergasted. How can one do that and not pass out minutes later?

    Great topic and a very clever introduction. I would still love to read more of your opinions and/or experiences related to these instruments. Didn't a professional flutist present in front of your class a few years back? How was that experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! There's also a piece for tuba that mainly entails beatboxing. A tuba major played it in front of me at school once. It was insane. Hard to fathom. As for professional flute player, the only person I can think of is Mme Defoe's friend Kristen. She's just amazing. I've heard her play a couple of times. Watching the way she moves with the music when she plays really adds to her smooth sound. Also, I wish I could breathe like she does. She can completely fill her lungs with air in a catch breath (breath in the middle of a piece) that lasts half a second. That's the dream!

      Delete