Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Accordion

The accordion holds a special place in my heart. My grandfather started playing accordion in his late teens, just before he fled from Germany at the peak of the WWII. To this day, he always tells me that the only reason he regrets leaving is because he had to leave behind the best accordion teacher he ever had. When he came to Canada, my grandfather was lucky enough to get his hands on another accordion. Being the talented man that he is, he self-taught and played by ear so much that he became quite proficient. He even made pocket money by playing gigs. I used to love hearing him play and hum a tune. Unfortunately, over time he started to play less, and now he feels as if he shouldn’t play because he doesn’t think he can do the instrument justice. I’ve fooled around with it a bit myself. Although it is a gorgeous instrument, I’ve hardly felt so incompetent in my life. It’s quite an intimidating instrument.
The first resemblance of an accordion originated in 1822 in Berlin, when Christian Friedrich Ludwig Buschmann invented its basic shape. In 1829, Cyrillus Damian patented the first accordion in Vienna. The accordion used free reeds (reeds that are not fastened to a mouthpiece, they’re usually metal) and a bellows (a bag of air, if you will) to produce sound with the left hand operating the button board, which controlled they key. The piano accordion, which featured a keyboard on the right side and no button board, appeared a short while after. In 1844 Charles Wheatstone took both elements of the button board in the left hand, and the keyboard in the right and put them on one instrument, which he called the concertina. Since then, the concertina evolved slowly but surely into what we know today as the modern accordion. Now, Don’t be fooled by how simple this evolution may have sounded. The accordion is an extremely complex instrument. As if playing piano isn’t hard enough, the accordionist must also keep rhythm with the bellows and control the key with the button board. That’s a lot to think of at once! Not to mention that that’s a whole lot of buttons to keep track of! See what I mean? That’s intimidating! Like I said, my grandfather is a very smart man.



Sources:

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Wow I'm so amassed about the accordion evolution and I had no idea that it was invented by Christian Friedrich Ludwig Buschmann in 1822. If I had to choose what instrument that I would want to learn it would be the accordion because I like the sound it makes.

    ReplyDelete